Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Chibi Project

As part of my final project for school, I had built a low-poly base mesh that would be used in anime-style JRPG games. It is very easy to make new characters quickly out of this mesh, and just modifying a couple edge loops can make a female or male character. As they are the same base mesh, they were able to inherit bits of the skeleton rig of the base mesh and therefore inherit some animations to make things easier. I did have to learn how to rig a bow and arrow, which came out beautifully.

The final project was a few minute long animation done in Maya with an asian Ninja theme. I had to create the environment, the characters, rigs, lighting, and had a little bit of help on textures (only on some characters and weapons) as I was short on time. Unfortunately, I didn't account for rendering as it would take many, many, many, MANY, hours to render and I could not find worth in making my computer or several of the school computers to render it out. Instead I opted for recording the viewport. It is a definite loss of quality, but time constraints forced me and I am glad for the alternative either way.

Here are some characters of the animation.

The Archer


Wireframe

The Minion
Wireframe


The Boss


Wireframe
The Rogue
Wireframe

The Rogue went on to join 2 other characters in a major project that used the recently publicly released Unreal Engine. More on that in the upcoming posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment